Quaternary and Aggregate Geologist
Quaternary and Aggregate Geologist (http://jobsearch.gov.mb.ca/jow/generateBulletin.action?ID=1924)
GE2 Geologist 2
Manitoba Innovation, Energy and Mines
Manitoba Geological Survey, Mineral Resources
Advertisement Number: 23450
Salary(s): GE2 $55,868.00 – $70,080.00 per year
Closing Date: January 28, 2011
The Manitoba Geological Survey conducts a wide range of geoscientific investigations in Manitoba. By developing an understanding of the provinceâ€™s geology, geological evolution and mineral endowment, the Survey promotes mineral exploration opportunities and contributes to wise land-use management. Quaternary geology studies provide essential information used by the mineral exploration industry in areas of the province that are covered by glacial deposits. Quaternary geological information is also a key component of provincial and municipal land use planning, and of provincial and cross-border groundwater studies. In addition, maintaining the provinceâ€™s aggregate database is vital for the construction industry.
The incumbent must be a highly motivated individual with the ability to undertake geological field mapping of surficial materials. The position requires the following qualifications:
- M.Sc. in Quaternary Geology (or an equivalent combination of education and experience).
- Experience in geological mapping of surficial materials at various scales.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills; the ability to work independently or as a member of a geoscientific team for extended periods in various work environments.
- Computer skills with the ability to effectively manipulate and interrogate various geological data sets.
- Experience in the collection, manipulation and interpretation of geochemical and indicator mineral data.
- Experience in compiling and evaluating aggregate data.
Candidate will have a valid driverâ€™s license and be eligible for professional registration in the Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Manitoba (APEGM). The willingness to travel and to work in various field conditions for up to three months of the year is a requirement of the position.
Responsible for all aspects of Quaternary studies in the province, including aggregate deposits:
- Conduct field surveys to determine distribution, age, origin, geochemistry, and geological history of Quaternary sediments.
- Compile, evaluate and synthesize Quaternary geological data.
- Develop new concepts and isolate gaps in the existing Quaternary geology knowledge base that warrant further investigation.
- Maintains Quaternary map compilation for the province.
- Participate in projects with federal and provincial departments, university researchers, and the general public (outreach).
- Maintain the Quaternary stratigraphic and aggregate databases of the province.
Human Resource Services
Winnipeg MB, R3C 0T9
Please include advertisement number and position title in the subject line of your e-mail.
Employment Equity is a factor in selection. Applicants are requested to indicate in their covering letter or resumÃ© if they are from any of the following groups: women, Aboriginal people, visible minorities and persons with a disability.
We thank all who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
Your cover letter, resumÃ© and/or application must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications.